Creating A New Community Health Center
The Knox Clinic is excited to propose the creation of a Community Health Center on a portion of the Thomaston Green adjacent to Route 1. We value the downtown connection, the high visibility and accessibility, including for the peninsula communities we serve, and the ability to further our mission of wellness.
Our belief in wellness consists of more than prescribing a blood pressure medication or filling a cavity, though, in a new community health center, patients would be able to do both under the same roof. Wellness also comes from yoga classes, meditation gardens, a connection to the beautiful place we live, and shared indoor and outdoor community space that encourages connection.
Our goal is to create a space that is welcoming and where we as staff would be happy to bring our children and our grandparents to get their care. We will be an open door for quality care whether you make $5,000 a year or $500,000 a year, are 1 years old or 100 years old, we will care for you with dignity and compassion.
We are delighted to share that a purchase and sale agreement for 1.5 acres of the Thomaston Green has been signed with the Town of Thomaston!
Our preliminary floor plan is for a building footprint of approximately 7,500 sq ft, which is equal to .17 of an acre. The second floor is over one wing, with plans for a rooftop community space over the other wing of the building. This may be change once the architecture firm is selected.
Steps we have taken thus far:
- Completed a Community Barriers to Care Study with 537 respondents to drive our strategic planning.
- The primary barrier to all types of care = cost.
- The top three types of care community members want better access to = dental, vision, and mental health services.
- Click Here to view our Barriers to Care Executive Summary
- Starting in June were working with Health Management Associates, a national consulting firm, to get to the best model for our health care center.
- Held exciting preliminary partnership conversations with:
- Roux Institute to explore augmented telehealth equipment providing novel technology focused on bringing healthcare services to the home.
- UNE and their Maine Area Health Education Center to become an externship site for schools to foster the next generation of healthcare workers.
- After numerous community meetings, Thomaston voted in favor of building our new home on the Thomaston Green!
- Our region was federally designated as a Medically Underserved Area, reinforcing the need for a community health center
- A purchase and sale agreement was signed with the Town of Thomaston
- A request for proposals for architect and engineering for the new building is now open, with a selection due in December ’23
Here are some helpful documents with extra information:
Health is a positive state, an aspirational goal. We will strive for an integrated approach of wellness, risk reduction, nutrition, and, of course compassionate, equitable, and affordable care.
Want to learn more or get involved?
Please connect with Executive Director Meredith Batley via email at Meredith@knoxclinic.org or via phone at 207-301-6991 with all questions, concerns and suggestions.